Thursday, March 5, 2009

Movies: Boyle not Bond



Well tie me up and slap me silly. We ran a story a few days ago selling the idea that Danny Boyle was in the running for the director's chair on the new Bond flick. Well that has now been proven patently untrue. I did say that I would love to see Boyle on a big project and now it seems he may bring his significant skills to the movie musical. The "Slumdog" director is looking to remake "My Fair Lady."

"Lady" is based on "Pygmalion" by George Bernard Shaw and tells the story of Henry Higgins,a snobbish photenic professor, who takes a bet to teach a poor flower girl named Eliza Doolittle to be a proper lady. The most famous version is the 1964 film version starring Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.

Boyle has proved over the years that he is a very pliable director. His works include the drug film "Trainspotting," the zombie film "28 Days Later," the family oriented "Millions," the sci fi epic "Sunshine" and of course the modern fairy tale "Slumdog Millionaire."
I would love to see what he does with the movie musical.

No comments:

Blog Archive